Artist: Jeff Kahm
Mr. Kieve has been a faculty member, lecturer or participant, on average at least two times a year, at American Bar Association annual meetings, ABA Litigation Section annual meetings, Inns of Court annual meetings, etc. The following is a sample:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency / National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Boulder, Colorado, 1982, 1983, 1984. Trial practice faculty member.
- University of Rochester Graduate School of Business 1985. Lecturer on product liability issues.
- ABA Annual Meeting 1998: Panelist: “Cutting the Litigation Process Short: Is There New Life for Summary Judgment?” (federal judges Schwarzer and Tjoflat were also panelists).
- ABA Litigation Section Annual Meeting 1989. Program moderator: “What to Do When the Grand Jury Calls: Criminal Enforcement of Environmental Laws” (other members included former Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick and Assistant Attorney General Environmental, Carol Dinkins).
- ABA Litigation Section Annual Meeting 1990. Panel member: “The Federal Courts Study Committee's Recommendations – An Overview.”
- Workshop for Judges of the Fifth Circuit 1990. Panel member: “Civil Case Management” (other members included federal judges Feldman and Parker).
- ABA Annual Meeting 1990. Panel member: “Fast Track Litigation: Can Judges, Practitioners and Legislators Agree on Realistic Reform?”
- Fifth Circuit Judicial Conference 1991. Panel member: “"Moving Cases on Crowded Dockets: How Judges and Lawyers Can Work Together” (federal judges Head and Feldman were also on the panel).
- American Arbitration Association, Annual Meeting 1992. Featured luncheon speaker (“Discovery in Arbitration”).
- American Inns of Court, Annual Meeting 1992. Program moderator: “Discovery, Competitiveness and the Threat of Malpractice.”
- ABA Litigation Section Program, London 1995. Program chair: “New Directions in U.S. Federal Civil Litigation.”
- ABA Annual Meeting 1996. Mock closing argument: “A National Closing Argument Shoot-Out” (with Steve Susman, Tony Axam and Jim Coleman).
- ABA Annual Meeting 2003. A Master Class in Arbitration. Program chair and moderator.
- Union Internationale des Avocats, Paris 2007. Protection of Architectural Intellectual Property.
- COMBAR, Berlin 2008. Liabilities of Ancillary Parties (Accountants, Banks, Lawyers, etc.) for Securities and Financial Misstatement Violations.
- ABA Litigation Section Annual Institute on E-Discovery, Chicago 2009. Will the Cost of E-Discovery End Litigation as We Know It Today?
- COMBAR, Chicago 2009. Legal Issues Arising out of the Global Financial Crisis.
- Corporate E-Discovery Forum, Chicago 2009. “E-Discovery Is Broken; How Do We Fix It?”
- LegalTech, New York 2010. “Whatever Happened to Rule 11: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?” International judges panel comparing different legal systems and e-discovery approaches.
- Judicial Conference of the United States, 2010 Civil Litigation Conference, Duke Law School 2010. Panel member.
- COMBAR, Lisbon 2010. Ancillary and provisional remedies in support of proceedings in other jurisdictions.
- ABA Annual Meeting 2010, San Francisco. “Litigation in the Internet Age.” Program moderator (with Hon. Mark Kravitz, Steve Susman and Lorna Schofield).
- PLI-Navigant Webinar 2010. “The New Federal Rules for Expert Discovery Go Into Effect December 1, 2010 - Are You Ready?” Program participant.
- Association of American Law Schools, Annual Meeting 2011, San Francisco. “Impact of Electronic Revolution on Litigation.” Program participant.
- ABA Section of Litigation / National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Critical Trial Skills for Legal Services Attorneys, Albuquerque, New Mexico 2011. Trial practice faculty member.
- ABA Section of Litigation, Annual Conference 2012, Washington, D.C., “Federal Rule of Evidence 502, How to Save Your Client Lots of Money.” Program moderator (with Hon. Lee Rosenthal, Chair of the Judicial Conference Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure, Professor Daniel Capra and Chilton Varner, editor of Moore’s Federal Practice).
- ABA Section of Litigation, Annual Conference 2013, Chicago, Illinois, “What Change Has Wrought? Evaluating the Impact of Changes to the Federal Expert Disclosure Rules.” Program Participant.
- COMBAR, Washington, DC 2015, "Should juries be eliminated in civil cases?"
- ABA Section of Litigation, Annual Conference 2017, San Francisco, California, “A Closing Argument Shoot-Out,” Program moderator (with Jim Brosnahan, Bob Clifford, Daralyn Durie and Bart Williams).
- COMBAR, New York, New York 2017. “Effective Techniques for Managing Heavy Commercial Litigation,” Program participant (with Mr. Justice William Blair (Judge in Charge, Commercial Court), Hon. Jed S. Rakoff (United States District Judge, SDNY), Brad Karp (chair, Paul Weiss), Laurence Rabinowitz QC and John Campion QC).
- American College of Trial Lawyers, ABA Section of Litigation, United States District Courthouse, San Francisco, California 2017. “Anatomy of a Trial” training for newer lawyers, panel participant.
- ABA Section of Litigation, Annual Conference 2018, San Diego, California, “A Closing Argument Showdown,” Program moderator (with Juanita Brooks and Tammara Matthews Johnson).
- ABA Section of Litigation, Annual Conference 2018, San Diego, California, “Cross-examination Showdown,” Program moderator (with Mike Attanasio, Brad Brian and Kalpana Srinivasan).
- COMBAR, Vienna, Austria, 2018. Discussion panel on the pros and cons of litigation funding.
San Francisco, CA 94115-1141 |
Phone 415.364.0060 |
Cell 415.425.2655 |